Sauerkraut with carrot and apples.
10 kg (22 lb) Cabbage, cored and shredded.
5 tsp sugar.
200 g (7 oz) canning salt.
750 g (1,7 lb) carrot, grated.
1 kg (2,2 lb) apples, sour taste, grated.
Mix all the ingredients together. Rub the strips with your hands to make them softer and juicier, stir. Put in a wood, porcelain or glass container very tightly, press. Cover and put a heavy weight (large rocks or bricks) on top of it. It must be clean as the liquid which come out of the cabbage is likely to cover at least part of it. Leave at room temperature for fermentation for 4 - 5 days. After 2-3 days the cabbage begins to "bubble". To poke cabbage with stick to release gas - several times per day.
After 4-5 day as cabbage was shredded it must be refrigerated. It will be ready to eat in two weeks.
1. Summer cabbage will go soft. Never take it to make Sauerkraut!
2. Start to make Sauerkraut always on "new moon", 3 - 4 day of new moon.
3. Slat must be: canning salt, (without iodine).
4. Not forget to stick cabbage during fermentation. Cabbage always must be covered with juice.
5. Press cabbage. Keep in the refrigerator, undo Cargo and covered.
Авторские блюда из даров природы