Sauerkraut, with garlic and horseradish.
✔ 8 kg (17,6 lb) cabbage, cored and shredded.
✔ 100 g (3,5 oz) garlic, peeled and crushed.
✔ 100 g (3,5 oz) horseradish, peeled, grated.
✔ 100 g (3,5 oz) parley leaves, chopped.
✔ 300 g (10,6 oz) beets, washed, peeled, cubed.
✔ For 4 litres / 8 pint water.
✔ 200 g (7 oz) canning salt.
✔ 200 g (7 oz) sugar.
1. Remove outer leaves and any undesirable portions from firm, mature, heads of cabbage. Wash and drain. Cut into quarters and remove the core. Cut the cabbage into 200 g - 300 g / (7 oz - 10,6 oz) pieces. Set aside.
2. Wash beets. Peel the beets and cube. Set aside.
3. Combine sugar, salt and water and bring brine to boil. Take away from heat after boiled. Let to chill.
4. Put cubed beets into cabbage. Add remained ingredients: garlic, horseradish, parsley. Pack the salted cabbage - beets mixture firmly and evenly into a large clean crock or jar. Pour hot brine over cucumbers. Cover with a plate or round paraffined/waxed board that just fits inside the container so that the cabbage is not exposed to the air. Put a weight on top of the cover so the brine comes to the cover but not over it. A glass jar filled with water makes a good weight.
5. Cover the cabbage with a clean, thin, white cloth (such as muslin).
6. Formation of gas bubbles indicates fermentation is taking place. A room temperature of 18 C / 64 F to 20 C / 68 F degrees is best for fermenting cabbage. Stick cabbage during fermentation. Fermentation is usually completed in 2 to 3 days.
7. Put cabbage in the refrigerator or cool place for several months.
1. Summer cabbage will go soft. Never take it to make Sauerkraut!
2. Start to make Sauerkraut always on new moon, 3 - 4 day of new moon.
3. Slat must be: canning salt, (without iodine).
4. Do Not forget to stick cabbage during fermentation. And Cabbage always must be covered with juice.
5. Press cabbage. Keep in the refrigerator, undo Cargo and covered.