Home's Kvass - Cold beverage.
Russians old drink kvass is a cold beverage.
Ingredients to make Kvass:
✔ 8 litres (16 pint) - water
✔ 1 kg (2 lb) - rusks
✔ 750 grams ( 1,5 - 1,8 lb) - sugar
✔ 25 grams (1 oz) yeast
✔ 2 tbsp. dried ground herbs spearmint, Melissa, st.-john's-wort, or fresh spearmint
✔ 10 - 15 black currant leaves
✔ 50 g (2 oz) raisins
1. Crush the rye rusks or rye bread dried in the oven, put it in big saucepan, pour boiled hot water, mix, cover and leave for 12 hours in a warm place, stirring from time to time.
2. Strain and discard rusks.
3. Put into 2 cup of boiled water dried herbs. Strain and discard herbs.
4. Put into 2 cup of boiled water black currant leaves. Strain and discard leaves.
5. Add intothe main liquid herbs tea and currant leaves tea, then the sugar and yeast, dissolved in a small amount of warm boiled water, mix and leave for 4 - 5 hours.
6. When the kvass begins to foam violently, strain it again. Pour kvass into bottles, add 3- 5 raisins into each bottle, cork tightly, and after 1 - 2 hours at room temperature, put them in the fridge. After 2 days the kvass will be ready to drink.
7. Kvass should be served with ice.
(10-15 grams =1/2 oz; 100 g = 4 oz)